At Symmetry Counseling in Texas, we understand how difficult it can be to live with depression and bipolar disorder. That’s why we have developed comprehensive therapy services for individuals who are struggling with these mental health conditions. Our goal is to provide a safe and supportive environment where our clients can explore their feelings and gain insight into their own lives.
What Is Bipolar or Manic Depression?
Bipolar or Manic Depression is a mental health condition that is characterized by alternating periods of mania and depression. During manic episodes, people may experience intense highs and lows, including extreme elation, irritability, and racing thoughts. During depressive episodes, people may experience feelings of hopelessness and sadness, as well as changes in appetite, sleep, and energy levels. People with bipolar disorder may also experience psychotic symptoms, such as hallucinations or delusions. Bipolar disorder is a long-term condition that requires ongoing treatment and support.
What Causes Depression?
Depression is a complex disorder that can be caused by a variety of factors, including serious medical illness, life changes, or a family history of the condition. Those who experience depression may feel overwhelmed with sadness and loneliness, even when there is no known reason for it. Common causes of depression include:
- Abuse: Past physical, sexual, or emotional abuse can cause depression later in life.
- Certain medications: For example, some drugs used to treat high blood pressure can increase your risk of depression.
- Conflict: Depression may result from personal conflicts or disputes with family members or friends.
- Death or a loss: Sadness or grief from the death or loss of a loved one, though natural, can also increase the risk of depression.
- Genetics: A family history of depression may increase the risk. It’s thought that depression is passed genetically from one generation to the next. The exact way this happens, though, is not known.
- Major events: Even good events such as starting a new job, graduating, or getting married can lead to depression. So can moving, losing a job or income, getting divorced, or retiring.
- Other personal problems: Problems such as social isolation due to other mental illnesses or being cast out of a family or social group can lead to depression.
- Serious illnesses: Sometimes depression co-exists with a major illness or is a reaction to the illness.
Substance abuse: Nearly 30% of people with substance abuse problems also have major or clinical depression.
Get Help Today With Symmetry Counseling in Texas
At Symmetry Counseling, we believe that counseling can be an effective way to help alleviate the symptoms of depression and bipolar disorders. Through our counseling sessions, we will help you to gain a better understanding of the causes of depression, recognize specific triggers, and identify unhealthy thoughts and behaviors. We will also provide a safe and supportive atmosphere for you to explore relationships and past experiences, find better ways to cope with and solve problems, reduce feelings of hopelessness and anger, and increase a sense of happiness and control in your life.
If you believe you are living with depression or bipolar disorder, please contact us today to learn more about our counseling services. We are here to help you.