Licensed Professional Counselor Laura is a Licensed Professional Counselor who believes in creating a warm, empathic, non-judgemental therapeutic space for clients to help them move through their stru…Read More
Stress Management Counseling
Hormones can have a positive effect in the short term, keeping us active, alert, or even excited.
Long term stress, however, can be extremely detrimental to your health and relationship.
- Effects of stress are far-reaching, and may include:
- Lowered effectiveness of your immune system
- Increasing the likelihood of sickness
- Worsened symptoms of chronic illnesses
- Disrupted fertility
- Digestion, and sleep patterns
- Increased risk of heart problems
Furthermore, chronic stress can contribute to the development of other mental health issues, including depression, anxiety, and more.
Some of our stressors are short term or tangible, brought on by a deadline at work or an argument with a loved one. Other sources of stress, however, are more abstract and harder to manage. These could include larger relationship issues, financial troubles, chronic illness, dissatisfaction with school or career, or general unhappiness.
While we cannot always control our environment and stressors, we can control our reaction to them. Stress management is a key to staying healthy, achieving success, and maintaining positive and supportive intimate relationships.
Key indicators of stress include:
- Feelings of crankiness and frustration
- Loss of temper, particularly over small problems
- Difficulty focusing on tasks or conversations
- Pervasive tiredness or jumpiness
- Constant worrying or ruminating, including intrusive thoughts
- Negative self-talk
- Drinking excessive amount of coffee, tea, or alcohol
- Avoiding social contact
- Over or under eating
- Excessive crying or irritability
If more than a few of these sound familiar to you, you may be struggling with stress management. At Symmetry Counseling, we can help you identify your most powerful sources of stress and develop a plan for effectively managing them.
Here are a few of the ways we can help:
- Identify significant sources of stress, both overt and less obvious
- Define and implement appropriate boundaries, such as learning to leave work at work and relax while at home
- Learn and practice techniques for relaxation and mindfulness to reduce stress in the moment
- Create and implement healthy eating and exercise habits to support health and reduce effects of stress on the body
- Increase awareness of physical aspects of stress
- Identify sources of support, including friends, family, and other networks
- Develop hobbies or interests
If you believe you could benefit from stress management techniques, call us today for a consultation. Symmetry Counseling therapists are experts at helping you create balance in your life, reducing stress, and increasing productivity and satisfaction. We can help you live happier and healthier.