Work-Life Balance Counseling in Chicago
Maintaining a work-life balance can be a challenge given today’s weakened economy and the pressure to stay connected through email, voicemail, and text. It’s natural to feel the pressure to keep up; but staying in touch 24/7 can lead to a continuous work-life imbalance.
If you feel you may be suffering from a poor work-life balance, some questions to ask yourself are:
- How many hours a week do I work?
- What time at night do I stop checking work email and voicemail?
- Do I have a habit of working at home after dinner, or after the kids are in bed?
- How many hours a week do I spend engaging in activities that I really enjoy?
- Do you see your friends as often as you would like?
- Do you connect with your partner as often as you would like?
To learn more about work-life balance counseling, Contact Symmetry Counseling today.
Good work-life balance will look different for everyone, often depending upon your current life-stage. There’s no “one-size fits all”, what might feel right for you may not feel right for someone else. It bears keeping in mind that a work-life imbalance can create problems in one’s physical and psychological health, and in one’s relationships.
How do you know if you are suffering from a work-life imbalance?
Warning signs include:
- bringing work home
- increased conflict with your partner about time spent working
- canceling family plans or social plans due to work obligations
- poor sleep (including work-related dreams and teeth grinding)
- short temper with family members
- upset stomach
- tension headaches
- and increased use of caffeine and/or alcohol
How can I achieve a better work-life balance?
The Symmetry therapists can assist by helping you:
- Set limits and boundaries with others
- Ask for help when it’s needed
- Schedule social and personal time
- Reconsider/reset life and career goals
- Incorporate your partner’s perspective in setting of goals and boundaries
- Figure out what really matters to you and what is missing in your life