The Importance of Being A Good Roommate In A Romantic Relationship
Our relationships call for a variety of skills to stay connected and on track with our partners. I believe that one aspect of a healthy relationship requires that we also be good roommates for our partners. What does it require to be a good roommate to our romantic partners? One important skill is to develop solid communication skills. While communication is a very broad topic, more specifically what I mean is the need to set aside time to actually communicate about the activities of daily family life. I refer to these as couple check-ins. Finding the time for a check in may be easier on the weekend; but the day you choose doesn’t matter nearly as much as actually following through with the dedicated time.
Topics to discuss during the weekly couple check-in can include:
- Discussing kids schedules, behavioral concerns, school requirements, and agreeing on how best to manage these.
- Upcoming work commitments for each partner: travel, early mornings/later evenings, future work opportunities.
- Shopping/Cooking/meal preparation responsibilities for the week.
- New or unexpected family financial obligations.
- Agreement on who will plan the next date night.
- Schedule the next check-in.
Try it for a month to see how it can benefit your relationship.
Written by Kara Thompson-Miller, Licensed Clinical Social Worker: January 2023 “Why is it so hard to like my body?”: A unassumingly complex question that has been asked by many clients in many different variations, but one that, nonetheless, tends…Read More
Megan Mulroy, LCPC Something I see frequently with my clients is job dissatisfaction. Long hours, lengthy responsibilities, and mistreatment from peers and supervisors is all too common. What I also see with these clients is often intense fear around…Read More
Do You Need Help?
Not what you were looking for?